Monday, April 9, 2007

More on Varsity Girls Rugby

I recieved a comment over the weekend regarding the March 27, 2007 post on Varsity Women's rugby. Link to original post and comment. Unfortuneately, the anonymous commenter missed the point of the original blog and made several unfortunate distortions of my position.

First, the commenter took the post as a slam on USA Rugby. However, the post actually cretids USA Rugby with initiating a serious conversation about how to bring about varsity rugby.

Second, my comments were not oppossed to varsity status, rather a caution that varsity status is not an automatic solution to rugby's problem. In fact, the commenter and I seem to agree that there would be benefits to varsity status, i.e. legitimacy within the school, access to another, well organized sports structure and more exposure. (In fact, the orignal post pointed out that a two tier club/varisty stem "may not be a bad result if it means more exposure to rugby for everyone.").

Third, I think the original post indicates, and I would stil maintain, that capacity is a real issue for rugby community at this stage of the game. Creating "varsity" programs assumes that we can find enough coaches, referees, (and not to mention players) to have that happen. These resources need to be developed locally. The question is not "how do we get varsity status?" but "how do we build capacity?"

Ultimately, if rugby achieves varsity status it will be because of (and not in spite of) the success of the current club teams. Only when our club teams are strong and regularly drawing players, will there be enough evidence to encourage school districts to sponsor varsity programs. No school or athlectic association is going to "give" varsity status to rugby, varsity status must be earned by building a strong base.

Finally, I want to comment on the rugby volunteer/ownership comment. For rugby to grow, each participant (parent, player, coaches, etc..) must "own" rugby. Without investment in the process, rugby won't grow. However, I would agree with the commenter that this sense of "ownership" is dangerous if it leads to the exclusion of "non-rugby" people --- a term I dislike. Rugby needs to do a better job at brining people in and showing them that this is a legitimate, fun, and exciting sport for all involved.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This isn't a blog if it you don't post the comments and just respond to whatever you feel like. The whole idea of previewing is to catch profanity and inappropriate posting but you will probably just take the comments you like. You're a joke.

And by the way, I am an athletic director in the state and if you really wanted to help girls rugby, you would not write something ridiculous like this, makes you look like an old man trying to hold the sport down.

Nobody owns soccer. Nobody owns softball. But rugby people think they OWN rugby. Interesting, when progress and change has been held down in the past it has never faired well for the opressor. I will make sure to pass this along to my colleagues in the system. You're right, rugby may not ever see the benefits as long as people like you are in the club system. I doubt I will see my comments up due to your censorship and selective response. Thanks.

Dan said...

I apologize for not posting the comment sooner, but I don't blog on the weekends. Your comment was posted this morning as a comment to the original undelrying blog. I'm glad to know an Athletic Director took the time to read this fledgling blog and hope you continue to comment.

Given your experience, I would be very interested in reading your suggestions on how to build capacity, attract more players, and form relationships with school districts/state organizations.

I would also note that, to date, I think the strongest U19 girls programs are those that have formed close relationships with particular schools. I think the school affiliation question, however, is fundementally different from the varsity status question. School affiliation can happen instantly (i.e. whenver there is a willing school and local club), the varsity status question (because it involves the dedication of resources from school districts) will take a little longer. But perhaps thats a question for another blog.

Anonymous said...

Dan

could you please forward me the HS AD e mail address and allow me to fix the situation. No offense but please do not communicate with him/her any more until I have had the chance to shed some light on this. I would be glad to discuss the solutions via phone anytime you would like. They are not ready for release yet...soon though

thanks

Dan said...

I will say this for the anonymous AD, someone is interested in your comments, aside from me.

Whoever posted the request to respond to the anonymous AD's comments, sorry that I can't direct you to any information regarding emails or names, unless people chose not to post anonymously.

But, I'd love to hear more thoughts.

Perhaps I should point out, just in case its not obvious, that I don't hold any position with USA Rugby or the Wisconsin RFU. Any opinions expressed on this blog are my own, and not a statement of any union's policy or practice.

Blondie said...

For someone who is supposedly an athletic director in our state, this commentor isn't very good at providing meaningful feedback, so much as attacking and mocking. And anonymously at that.

Dan posted his thoughts on the future of a sport he enjoys being a part of. The anonymous commentor should've provided their own arguments for/against Dan's post, not accused him of trying to hold the sport down and being "a joke". Especially since Dan responded back to your original comment with further consideration and politeness.

It saddens me to think that an athletic director for a school in our state feels its okay to anonymously skewer someone for having an opinion about a growing sport in our culture. I would hate to see how this person handles their own athletic department. Much less, leading their sports teams to future growth and success.

Own your words anonymous. Hopefully, girls rugby in our state will continue to grow despite the negative attacking opinions of people like you.

Anonymous said...

To the folks who have been responding who are part of the HS athletic system, I will have a published contact for you shortly.

Please be patient. I need another day or two

Thank you...solutions

Dan said...

I am very curious about the lastest comment from "solutions."

Looking forward to reading about any good ideas.

Anonymous said...

I would like to correct myself "solutions" sounds like there is a problem. There is no problem. Naturally that depends on your point of view.

I should have said I have the "go forward answers"

I will give you all this tidbit to ponder. There are no negatives to interscholastic athletics...none. Providing opportunities for student-athlete enrichment never has a down side. Parents, BOE, AD's, coaches, teachers, community leaders will find a way if they have the students best interest as their focus

Everyone currently in the HS athletics system reading this should now be nodding their heads