Monday, November 25, 2013

WGR's Dog Sled Racing Coach ...



Kettle Moraine's coach Liz has been raising huskies since before she played high school rugby for the KM Knightmare's a few years ago.  She's been able to chase both dreams along the way, coming back to coach her old high school team after a good experience with her collegiate women's team.  Now, she's off to Alaska to work on the famous Iditarod Dog Sled races.  Not just a coach, she is one of those great coaches in our league who teaches her kids a lot about life and that's never been as clear as it is when you look at the blog she's created to recount her adventures up to Alaska this winter ....

So, check out her story in her own words at:  Embracing the Unexpected

A few inspiring excerpts:
"I am a recent college graduate just looking for work in my field of study, biology.  I spend most of my time volunteering or working with children. I coach a high school girls full contact rugby team who took 3rd in state this past season with it being my first season coaching! SO PROUD! I also coach inner city flag rugby for youth 6-13 year old.  Winters I coach downhill ski racing for high school and youth and if I'm lucky I get some racing in as well. Beyond coaching I am a CNA at a nursing home caring for the elderly in their last few stages of life.  Hard work but all very rewarding."

"So basically this job opportunity is a once in a life time experience working for the most famous female sled dog racer in the world and she picked me out of all the people who applied to come work for her.  Not only that but she is allowing me to bring two of my dogs with for this experience! This is more than I could have ever dreamed of!"

"Dreams do come true you just have to keep believing in them! Always be ready to embrace the unexpected, you never know when your chance will come"

1 comment:

CULPEPPER'S DREAMS AND GOALS said...

Awesome story,

Liz is a great coach and will be missed while away. Have fun Liz!