Thursday, January 2, 2014

Kevin Higgins Scholarship Winners 2013

The USRF, which supports the growth of rugby in so many different ways, including with grants to start-up clubs, announced the winners of their 2013 scholarships.  Winners are young men and women who will continue playing rugby in college.

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WGR ALUMNI.

According to USRF Executive Director Brian Vizard, "This year's recipients are once again outstanding young men and women who have made an impression at their high school, on the rugby pitch, in their communities, and now in college."

This year's recipients from WGR, Eileen Lieb and Lindey Wise, are the fifth and sixth winners from WGR in the history of the award, which include Kaite Mueller (Penn St), Talia Carrasquillo (UNI) and Kaissee Weissueller (UNI), and Amanda Pohle (Marquette U).

Eileen Lieb credits rugby for playing a role in dealing with life’s hardships. “Playing rugby has helped me spiritually. Losing four of my brothers, including my twin brother who was born with Down syndrome, was hard on my family and I never did understand why it happened to us. As I struggled with these questions my team stood by me. We all shared stories of why we play and I told them I play for my brothers. I have been given life and talent so I must give them something to be proud of. I am determined to live my life to the fullest and reach every potential.”

Lindey Wise has had two major life challenges over the past 18 months and she credits rugby and her faith with seeing her through those times. Lindey touched a rugby ball for the first time at a summer rugby camp just before her freshmen year in high school. But by the time she graduated, she helped lead Divine Savior Holy Angels to three consecutive Wisconsin and Midwest titles and three third place finishes at Nationals. She was outstanding in the classroom too finishing with a 3.5 GPA and First Honors in grades 10-12. Lindey also gave back to her community by volunteering with the National Kidney Foundation, the St. Vincent de Paul Meal Program, the Hunger Task Force, and the Child Christ Society.


No comments: