Wednesday, October 30, 2019

An Open Letter to the Wisconsin Girls Rugby Community

Published in the WGR State Tournament Program 10/27/2019.  Worth publishing here as well:

An Open Letter to the Wisconsin Girls Rugby Community    

Today we gather again for the 20th time to contest for the title of Wisconsin High School Girls’ Rugby Champion.  There is a strong and steady growth in quality of play and number of players since our first State Championship.

 It is difficult to name all I have seen over the years. Showing up to the field, in the roles I play, always leaves me feeling I am a part of something bigger than myself. I can picture the many moments when I get to see a player finally understand the game and enjoy a hard fought and well played match. 

More than witnessing our growth in size and talent, what continues to impress me is how high school girls’ rugby has brought a supportive, nurturing and unique community to high school sports.  Rugby asks a lot of its players -- physicality, skill, discipline, teamwork and sportsmanship.  But, it also requires the commitment from supports off the field--volunteers coaches, referees, and parents.   When a group comes together and gives it their all in leadership, sport and play, a unique bond develops. Something special gets created every time players and fans from diverse schools and communities bond over a meal after giving it their all on the field.  

In the early years, I did not know that Wisconsin Girls Rugby would host the first National Invitational Rugby Tournament in Milwaukee in 2000 or enable young women leaders in high school to represent USA on international tours and earn college scholarships. Nor did I expect that so many of them would return to the league to coach, referee, and contribute to the game.  Today, we are statewide. Many clubs, players, fathers, mothers, referees--some with experience, some without--are here to celebrate with us today. 

My own daughter takes the field today for the second year in a row.  I could not feel more humbled knowing that this rugby community is supporting her and many other young women to succeed both on and off the field.  I now get to watch her as she forms new friendships with players from teams across the state. She carries on a rugby tradition where we can be competitors on the field and community after the match.  I have seen her gain strength and confidence with the support of her teammates and coaches.  I can only wish for all our players what I tell my own daughter: play hard, play smart, and have a good time.

Thank you to all of you who have contributed to make today possible and who continue to grow the game.  Good luck to all our teams!

Sincerely,

WRRS Referee
Former League President
Former Coach DSHA, KM, CMH, Brookfield, Wauwatosa

No comments: